Tyne and Wear HER(4877): West Moor, Dial Cottage (George Stephenson's Cottage) - Details
Title of image: George Stephenson's Cottage, Killingworth
Date: circa 1910
Description: George Stephensons cottage, Killingworth
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Buildings Collection
Accession number: NCL 031063
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
West Moor, Dial Cottage (George Stephenson's Cottage)
These 3 houses of one storey and an attic, now one residence, were built in the late 18th century/early 19th century in two phases. The earlier build is of sandstone rubble with quoins; the later build (at left) is of coursed squared sandstone with quoins; pantiled roofs with rendered chimneys. A Sundial dated 1816 is set at a slight angle above the door and a memorial tablet to George Stephenson, who lived here between 1803-15 and is said to have made the sundial. Stephenson built his first locomotive (Blucher) at the adjacent colliery wagon shops and on July 25th 1814, according to the inscription, it was placed on the nearby wagonway. LISTED GRADE 2* A watching brief in 2002 during the conversion of the cottage into a school caretakers house revealed that below extensive redecoration, the core of the original building fabric survives.
<< HER 4877 >> Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special ... Interest, 03-Aug; W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth, pp 70-72; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2002, Dial Cottage, Great Lime Road, West Moor, Documentrary study, recording and watching brief