Tyne and Wear HER(4881): Newcastle, Plate Glass Works - Details
Newcastle, Plate Glass Works
Plate Glass Works
The Plate Glass Works first appear on Wood's plan of 1827 complete with a 'pond'. It belonged to Nathaniel Clayton and appears to have continued in use until at least 1889. In 1889 the North Eastern Railway Company constructed 33 houses for their personnel at Dale Street. These were built over the former site of the Plate Glass Works which must have ceased operation by then. Wright & Co established a glassworks on this site around 1857 to make pressed ware. In 1867 the works were owned by E.T. Reed, then Heppell Garbutt & Co, reformed as W.H. Heppel & Co 1874.
<< HER 4881 >> Tyne and Wear Museums Service, 2000, Pottery Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment Wood, 1827 Oliver, 1831 Oliver, 1844 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1879, 25 inch scale English Heritage, 1997, Monuments Protection Program, Site Assessment