Tyne and Wear HER(4885): Newcastle, Skinner Burn Pottery - Details
Newcastle, Skinner Burn Pottery
Pottery Manufacturing Site
In a trades directory of 1790 a pottery belonging to Addison Falconer and Co. was recorded at Skinnerburn. This may be the origins of the name Pottery Lane. A Pottery is shown on Oliver's map of 1831 next to the Plate Glass Works (HER ref. 4881), and is marked as 'Newcastle Pottery' on the 1879 edition of the 1st edition Ordnance Survey plan of c.1855. There was also a pottery manufacturer called James Wallace in Forth Banks in 1837, a business started by Thomas Wallace in 1827 at Carr Hill.
<< HER 4885 >> Tyne and Wear Museums Service, 2000, Pottery Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment Oliver, 1831 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1879, 25 inch scale P.J. Davidson, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, pp 68-9 R.C. Bell, 1986, Maling and other Tyneside Pottery Tyne and Wear County Council, 1981, Maling - A Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell, 1971, Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell & M.A.V. Gill, 1973, The Potteries of Tyneside F. Buckley, 1927, Potteries on the Tyne and Other Northern Potteries during the C18, Archaeologia Aeliana, Vol 4, series 4, p68-82 D.K. Gray, 1985, Introduction to Maling S. Moore & C. Ross, 1989, Maling, The Trademark of Excellence J.T. Shaw, 1973, The Potteries of Wearside;