Tyne and Wear HER(4888): Newcastle, Northumberland Flint Glass Works - Details
Newcastle, Northumberland Flint Glass Works
These works are shown on Oliver’s map of 1831 as 'Flint Glass Works' and on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as 'Northumberland Glass Works (Flint)'. There were also some flint glassworks called ‘The Close Glassworks’ established by Joseph Airey circa 1728, partly on the site of an old meeting house. Isaac Cookson was probably financially involved with these works. From 1783 onwards, the firm was Airey, Cookson and Co. In the early 19th century the Northumberland Glass Company acquired the works.
<< HER 4888 >> Oliver, 1831 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1879, 25 inch scale F. Buckley, Glasshouses on the Tyne in the Eighteenth Century, Journal of the Society of Glass Technology, p29-30; Northern Archaeological Associaties Ltd. 2008, Farmers Buildings, Skinnerburn Road, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment