Tyne and Wear HER(4889): Newcastle, Skinnerburn Timber yard - Details
Newcastle, Skinnerburn Timber yard
Timber Processing Site
Shown on Oliver 1831, OS 1879 25" edition, OS 1898 25" edition (smaller with a large building alongside). On the OS 1940 25" edition, it is shown as 'Skinner Burn Timber Yard & Saw Mills'. First listed as Timber and Raff merchants Clayton, William, Skinnerburn in Pigot's directory 1834. The yard became known as Clayton and Armstrongs Yard. The yard acquired adjacent lime kilns at some point prior to 1840. The Clayton and Armstrong Yard continued in use throughout the 19th century. By 1925 the yard was taken over byJames Scott & Son.
<< HER 4889 >> Tyne and Wear Museums Service, 2000, Pottery Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment Oliver, 1831 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1879, 25 inch scale 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1898, 25 inch scale 4th edition Ordnance Survey map, 1940, 25 inch scale; Northern Archaeological Associaties Ltd. 2008, Farmers Buildings, Skinnerburn Road, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment