Tyne and Wear HER(4898): Elswick, Low Elswick House - Details
Elswick, Low Elswick House
From map evidence it appears that this house, called Low Elswick House from the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1894 onwards, was built between 1802 and 1827, perhaps coinciding with one of the changes in partnership of the lead works (HER ref. 4116). It replaced an earlier partner's house probably located immediately to its south. The house probably survives within the present company offices, which comprise additional structures added up to at least the 1950s. Both the interior and exterior have apparently been much altered.
<< HER 4898 >> Northern Archaeological Associates, 2000, Elswick Lead Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment