Tyne and Wear HER(4907): Elswick, Quay - Details
A quay is shown at this location in 1771 and may have been established much earlier. It was therefore in existence before the establishment of the leadworks (HER ref. 4116), and appears to be the quay leased by the lead works in 1784. The quay was destroyed or buried by land reclamation when the edge of the river was reclaimed between 1827 and 1844.
<< HER 4907 >> Northern Archaeological Associates, 2000, Elswick Lead Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment