Tyne and Wear HER(4908): Elswick, Lead Works Flue System - Details
Elswick, Lead Works Flue System
An extensive flue system, likely to have been below ground, was in use at the lead works (HER ref. 4116). It was well developed by c.1850 and parts of it may date from the first use of a smelter on the site in 1787. Two widths of flue are shown on plans of the site, approximately 0.70 metres and 1.40 metres wide. Flues on lead smelting sites vary in cross-section but were often rectangular to allow children to clean them and reclaim precipitated lead fumes. These flues may therefore be up to 1.5 metres deep.
<< HER 4908 >> Northern Archaeological Associates, 2000, Elswick Lead Works, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment