Tyne and Wear HER(4930): Newcastle, New Gaol - Details
Newcastle, New Gaol
In 1820, Newgate gaol was deemed as "being out of repair, and inconvenient, insufficient and insecure". An application was made to Parliament for building a new Gaol and a new House of Correction. The architect was John Dobson. The ceremony of laying the foundation stone took place on 4th June 1823. The building contained an elliptical building for the residence of the keepers in order that they could inspect unseen the radiating wings of the prison. The building was enclosed by a thick wall, 25 feet high. The entrance was a strong tower on the west side, in which was an arched gateway 14 feet high. Above the outer entrance was a stone on to which the town's coat of arms was to be inscribed. Two gates secured the entrance, with a porter's lodge in between them. On the ground floor there was a coal cellar, wash house and storeroom. There was a committee room and living quarters and office for the governor, apartments for the prison matron and keeper of the house of correction. The gaol also had a chapel. The gaol was demolished in the 1920s.
<< HER 4930 >> J.R. Boyle, 1890, Vestiges of old Newcastle and Gateshead, p 218-224; T. Faulkner and A. Greg, 1987, John Dobson Newcastle Architect 1787-1865, pp 43-45; Thomas Oliver, 1844, Historical and Descriptive Reference to the Public Buildings on the Plan of the Borough of Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead; Wood's map of 1827, Thomas Oliver 1830; Allan Brodie, Jane Croom and James O'Davies, 2002, English Prisons - An Architectural Guide, Pages, 67, 108 and 110; Report of the Inspector of Prisons 28 (N), page 78