Tyne and Wear HER(4931): Newcastle, Anderson Place - Details
Title of image: Anderson Place, Newcastle upon Tyne
Description: A copy of a 1702 etching of Anderson Place, Newcastle upon Tyne. The etching shows a bird's eye view of Anderson Place. The house is surrounded by extensive grounds. Other buildings in the city can be seen outside the walls of the property. The city wall borders Anderson Place to the right. Anderson Place was built on the site of a Franciscan Friary. The original house was built by Robert Anderson in 1580 and named 'Newe House'. The house was sold to Sir William Blackett in 1675. In 1782 the house was bought by Mr George Anderson whose son renamed the house 'Anderson Place'.
Additional info: Etching
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Buildings Collection
Accession number: NCL 003390
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Anderson Place
Anderson Place was Newcastle's most spectacular house, the largest, it is said, in the country within a city wall. Originally the land belonged to the church but became the property of the merchant Robert Anderson in 1580. Robert Anderson built the "Newe House" on the site of the old monastery of the Grey Friars. In 1646 Charles I was kept prisoner here. The house was purchased in 1675 by Sir William Blackett, MP for Newcastle and eventual owner of Wallington in Northumberland. Enriched through shipping, coal and lead, he added the vast brick-built wings to the house with modern sash windows. It was sold in 1782 to a builder, George Anderson, whose son named it Anderson Place. The house stood just off Pilgrim Street, approximately on the site of the present Lloyds Bank, in a 13 acre estate. The house was demolished in 1834 when Richard Grainger rebuilt the city centre.
<< HER 4931 >> V. Histon, 2000, Nightmare on Grey Street - Newcastle's darker side, p 8 T. Faukner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland; L. Wilkes and G. Dodds, 1964, Tyneside Classical - The Newcastle of Grainger, Dobson and Clayton; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p. 17; Atherton, B, 2013, To what extent can historical documents be used to reconstruct the architecture of the lost building Anderson Place in Newcastle upon Tyne? Unpub. Dissertation