Tyne and Wear HER(4941): Wallsend, Cosyn's Hall or Carville Hall - Details
Wallsend, Cosyn's Hall or Carville Hall
In about 1635, John Cosyn, draper of Newcastle, became a lease holder in Wallsend and built a large country home called Cosyn's Hall. This was known to have incorporated several Roman sculptured stones including an altar. The hall passed through the hands of the Lawson and Hewbank families before being sold to Robert Carr who renamed it Carville Hall. It can be seen in its own spacious grounds on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. On the same map, the line of Hadrian's Wall is shown as a strip of land about 20 metres wide dividing two fields. This strip was partly occupied by a drive leading to Carville Hall. A sketch by J Irwin Coates executed in 1879 shows the drive apparently on the line of the Wall with the ditch to the north. By the time of the second edition map the site had been covered with terraced housing. The drive to the hall had been incorporated into this development and renamed 'Roman Wall'. The Hall itself was demolished in 1898.
<< HER 4941 >> C.R. Hart, 2000, Carville First School, Walker, Wallsend, Archaeological Assessment; J. Horsley, 1732, Britannia Romana, p 207; W. Richardson, 1923, History of the parish of Wallsend, p 100; 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1858 map; T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 15; A.T. Croom, 2015. A History of Carville Hall, Wallsend, Arbeia Local History Notes no. 2