Tyne and Wear HER(4949): Newburn, High Street, Almshouses - Details
Title of image: Almhouses, Newburn
Description: An undated postcard of the almshouses, Newburn. The photograph shows the front of a row of almshouses which are set back from the street. People can be seen in the garden in front of the almshouses. A workman is working on the road which runs by the side of the buildings.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Description and Views Collection
Accession number: NCL 070723
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newburn, High Street, Almshouses
Health and Welfare
This group of 12 almshouses was built in 1870 by R J Johnson at the expense of Hugh Taylor for 6 inhabitants of Newburn, 3 of Earsdon and 3 of Shilbottle. They are of brick with ashlar-coped plinth, bands and dressings. They have a graduated Lakeland slate roof with ornamental ridge tiles and stone gable copings. They comprise one storey and attics; there are 3 bays to each house. There is an enamel street name at the left side. LISTED GRADE 2
<< HER 4949 >> Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, Newburn Plan Area Dept. of Environment, of Buildings of Special...Interest, Jul-34