Tyne and Wear HER(4982): Elswick, Richardson's Tannery (Elswick Leather Works) - Details
Elswick, Richardson's Tannery (Elswick Leather Works)
Leather Industry Site
Richardson's Tannery, also known as Elswick Leather Works was located between Water Street and Dunn Street. Richardson's moved from Whitby to Tyneside in 1766 and opened the Elswick works in 1863. The firm became one of the area's leading concerns and the works continued in use until 1971. It was the last leather works on the north bank of the river.
<< HER 4982 >> Riverside Heritage, Lead, Leather and Gas; The Elswick Leather Works, Messrs. E and J Richardson, Proprietors, Descriptive Account of Newcastle, pp 61-2