Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Fencehouses, Earl of Durham's Brick and Tile Works

Tyne and Wear HER(5001): Fencehouses, Earl of Durham's Brick and Tile Works - Details

Back to Search Results



Fencehouses, Earl of Durham's Brick and Tile Works




Brick and Tilemaking Site

Brick and Tile Works

Early Modern


Documentary Evidence

A tile works and clay pit were established to the north of Bournmoor Colliery (HER 4996) around 1854. There was a three fingered spoil heap to the east of the tile works. By 1895 a firebrick works had been established on the west side of the coke works (HER 4999) and the tile works had expanded to become a brick and tile works and a further kiln had been added. The spoil heap had grown considerably to cover the earlier clay pit. By 1940 the brick and tile works had been modified {1}. 1894-1939. The yard was situated close to the coke ovens at New Lambton. In the 1890s, field drainage pipes and common bricks were made here. Bricks marked ED were used in building colliery houses at New Herrington, Newbottle, Penshaw and Littleton. In the 1930s, the yard had an extrusion machine which made wire-cut red bricks. Soft clay was hand-dug from a clay pit next to the yard. The bricks were burned in seven Newcastle kilns and two rectangular downdraught kilns. The yard closed in 1940 and reopened in 1946, but finally closed in 1947.




<< HER 5001 >> Lancaster University, 1999, Lambton Cokeworks, Sunderland Northern Archaeological Associates, 2001, Sunderland Central Route, Multi Modal Study, Cultural Heritage Chapter PLB Consulting Ltd, 1998, Wooden Wagonway at Lambton Cokeworks Bullen Consultants, 2003, Lambton Coke Works, Archaeological Assessment

Back to Search Results