Tyne and Wear HER(5003): Bradley Park - Details
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
18th century landscape park, 40 hectare. Bradley Hall built c.1750 for John Simpson, altered 1813 by John Dobson for 1st Lord Ravensworth. Stables and outbuildings to north, late 18th century, behind high walls. Orangery, c.1760, 100 metres to west. Ice-house 200 metres to west, late 18th century, built into mound of prehistoric tumulus. Walled kitchen garden 350 metres to north-east, now used for flowers, and gardener's house. South lodge 600 metres south, North Lodge 400 metres north of Hall. Bradley Park is roughly rectangular in shape, with Hall in north-east quarter. Terrain slopes gently northward, down to the Tyne valley. Wooded dene runs along eastern border, with Bradley Burn flowing north towards the Tyne. Approach drive from South Lodge runs north beside Bradley Dene. Deciduous plantations to north, east and west of house. Mainly open parkland to south and west, with scattered trees. Vestigial fishponds in Park to south-west of Hall. Ha-ha extends for 150 metres east-west, between south front of Hall and Park. Terrace runs west of Hall, with wall 40 metres to west enclosing formal garden of 19th century origin (planting plan by J Cook 1842), with rose beds and herbaceous borders. Small terrace with lawn and graves walk to south. REGISTERED HISTORIC PARK.
<< HER 5003 >> English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England N. Pevsner & E. Williamson, 1983, County Durham F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 19; Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Bradley Park Conservation Area, pp 58-60