Tyne and Wear HER(5004): Gateshead, Saltwell Park - Details
Gateshead, Saltwell Park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
19th century public park, 8 hectare. Park founded 1876, purchased by Gateshead Corporation, at a cost of £32,000. Previously open fields to north, private estate of W. Wailes to south, who lived in Saltwell Towers (built 1871, used as hospital 1916-20, and as local museum 1933-69). Terraces and stairs to west and south of house. Boer War Memorial 1905. Drinking fountain late 19th century. 2 octagonal aviaries c.1880 east of Saltwell Towers. Fountain, 'Ye Salte Welle', on western boundary 150 metres west of Saltwell Towers. Park gates in art nouveau style at west end. Tea room pavilion with clock tower in centre of park flanked by rustic octagonal wooden shelters. Bandstand late 20th century to north (original now at Beamish). Park designed by Edward Kemp and W.B. Kemp, in rectangular area between West Park Road and East Park Road. Mainly open ground to north with tennis courts and bowling greens. Long walk with statues and densely bedded borders. Lake of 1.8 hectare formed 1880 in north-west quarter with wooded island. Southern area round Saltwell Towers - the Dene - undulating and generally wooded. Maze established c.1870, replanted 1983. Area of Saltwell Grove to south added 1920. Well-established rose garden. Notable displays of bedding plants. REGISTERED HISTORIC PARK.
<< HER 5004 >> English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England N. Pevsner & E. Williamson, 1983, County Durham F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 40; Gateshead Council, 1999, Conservation Area Policy Guidelines, Strategies and Character Statements, Saltwell Conservation Area, p 64