Tyne and Wear HER(5007): Jesmond, Newcastle General Cemetery (Jesmond Old Cemetery) - Details
Jesmond, Newcastle General Cemetery (Jesmond Old Cemetery)
Religious Ritual and Funerary
19th century cemetery, 4 hectares. Twin lodges (chapels) on Jesmond Road, with archway and gates, by John Dobson 1836. Massive gate piers on Sandyford Road with lodge to north, also by Dobson. A triangular site, bonded to north by Jesmond Road, to east by Sandyford Road, and to west by buildings of bus depot and T.A. centre. Newcastle General Cemetery Company formed 1834, and John Dobson employed to design the cemetery buildings. 2.5 metre high wall surrounds the site, which is crossed by main drive and paths running north-east/south-west (parallel to Jesmond Road) and south-east. Lesser paths of serpentine form. Broad straight walk on north side. The general design and planting may possibly have been influenced by J.C. Loudon. John Dobson was buried in the cemetery …. There is an exciting collection of monuments showing the talent of local craftsmen during a period when the city was at a peak of achievement. REGISTERED HISTORIC PARK. Friends of Jesmond Old Cemetery formed 2008 www.jesmondoldcemetery.co.uk.
<< HER 5007 >> English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 28 1981, Country Life, 2 July 1981, p 68 L. Wilkes, 1980, John Dobson A. Morgan, 2000, A Fine and Private Place - Jesmond Old Cemetery F. Green, 1995, Historic Parks & Gardens in Tyne and Wear, Stage 2 Research; T. Faulkner and A. Greg, 1987, John Dobson Newcastle Architect 1787-1865, p 40; Newcastle City Council, 2007, South Jesmond Conservation Area Character Statement, p 37-38; Alan Morgan, 2006, Jesmond Old Cemetery in Tyneside's Finest, 2006, pp 169-170; Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 119