Tyne and Wear HER(501): Gibside Estate, garden planting mound - Details
Gibside Estate, garden planting mound
A grass-covered flat-topped round earthen mound, situated in the grounds of Gibside Hall, on high ground, overlooking the Derwent Valley to the north. When it was first recorded by the Ordnance Survey in 1959 there were traces of a 2 m wide ditch round the mound, suggesting it as a possible prehistoric burial mound. Recently it has been suggested as a planting mound dating from the 18th - 19th century. A circular stone trough occupies the top of the mound, perhaps suggesting it had been part of an ornamental feature.
<< HER 501 >> Ordnance Survey archaeological record cards, E.C. Waight, 1959 mound R. Young, 1980, An Inventory of Barrows in Co. Durham, Transactions Architectectural & Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, New Series Vol. 5, p. 15 no. 97 R. Miket, 1984, The Prehistory of Tyne and Wear, p. 12 no. 1 Pers. Comm. H. Beamish, 1993, Planting mound at Gibside -Historic Environment Record