Tyne and Wear HER(5020): Felling, Fairs Boat Yard/Anderson's Slipway/Mitchison's - Details
Felling, Fairs Boat Yard/Anderson's Slipway/Mitchison's
Marine Construction Site
Mitchisons Ship Repair Yard was founded in 1919, on a site which had previously been known as Fairs Boat Yard or Anderson’s Slipway. Mitchison’s repair yard was taken over in 1955 by James Burness and Co. of London and refitted for ship construction, concentrating on tugs, trawlers and other small vessels. In 1964, the yard was closed and taken over by Friars Goose Marina Management Group. The yard is, today, within the marina development at Friars Goose.
<< HER 5020 >> The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record. ETC Ltd, 1995, Site Investigation of Felling Riverside, Archival Study, p16-17