Tyne and Wear HER(5021): Wallsend, Swan Hunter Shipyard inc Schlesinger-Davies Yard - Details
Title of image: Swan Hunter, Wallsend, North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear
Description: Men file up the bank after leaving work on the 'Mauretania'.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Industries Collection
Accession number: NCL 026299
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Wallsend, Swan Hunter Shipyard inc Schlesinger-Davies Yard
Marine Construction Site
A yard was opened by C A Schlesinger (a former Stephenson's apprentice) and F B Davies (who trained at Mitchells and worked for the company in India for four years) in Wallsend in 1863. Two sailing ships were launched before their first steamer SS Llandaff was launched in 1865. The yard remained in operation for over 30 years and produced a total of 167 vessels including, in 1868, the SS Kielder Castle, the first Schlesinger Davies vessel of over 1000 tons. Davies bought Schlesinger out of the yard before 1881. The company started to fail as ship construction nationally fell in the early 1890s and finally closed in 1893. In 1897, the yard was bought by Swan Hunter for the construction of floating dry docks. The first steel self-docking floating gravity dock was built there in the same year.
<< HER 5021 >> The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record; TWM Archaeology, 2010, Swan hunter Shipyard - archaeological assessment & recording