Tyne and Wear HER(5072): Newcastle, Clavering Place, Tobacco Manufactory (later BEMCO) - Details
Newcastle, Clavering Place, Tobacco Manufactory (later BEMCO)
Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. The building follows the curve of the road, sitting on a plinth of coursed, dressed sandstone, the building is characterised by the fenestration detail with arched openings at ground floor and sahes on the upper floors. The visual quality of this building has been reduced through the installation of modern, metal framed mirrored windows in the upper floors. Incorporates a Unitarian Chapel of 1720 (HER 7688). The tobacco factory was taken over by the British Electrical Manufacturing Company of Newcastle upon Tyne, (which was founded in 1893) in 1919 as their head office. They had previously been located in St. Nicholas Buildings. The BEMCO company was formed by Messrs Goolden and Penlington to supply electrical equipment to industries. They were a purchasing company for the Electrical Coal Cutting Contract Corporation (one of the first organisations in the world to cut coal by electrcity). In 1902, there were two new partners - Robert and Herbert Barkes. Branches were opened in Sunderland in 1905 and in London by 1907. In 1908 the company's name was changed to The British Electrical and Manufacturing Company. In 1910 the Barkes brothers became the sole owners. BEMCO supplied electrical materials, such as lamps, switches, switchgear, cables and signalling equipment, to collieries, shipyards, steel works and railways. In 1919, the same year that BEMCO moved to Clavering Place, a further branch was opened in Glasgow. Recorded in 2003 by The Archaeological Practice, demolished in 2008.
<< HER 5072 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1850; Memories of Newcastle Upon Tyne; The Archaeological Practice, 2003, 1-5 Hanover Square and 7-13 Clavering Place, Newcastle upon Tyne - Photographic Recording; Richard Annis, Archaeological Services Durham University, 2009, lecture to Northumberland Archaeological Group; Archaeological Services Durham University; 2011, Excavations at the BEMCO site, Clavering Place, Newcastle upon Tyne - Report on human remains