Tyne and Wear HER(511): Heworth chapel - Details
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
On 8 Feb. 1588 John Aubrey conveyed to Ralph Taylboys of Thornton esq. a close of 3 acres in Heworth called Katherine Close, given by Katherine Fawcett for the celebration of mass within the chapelry of Heworth. The chapelry comprised the township of Heworth, and was part of the parish of Jarrow. The chapel itself was taken down in 1821 and replaced, probably on the same site.
<< HER 511 >> R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, Vol. II, p. 83 and n. W. Fordyce, (date unknown) History of...Durham, Vol. II, pp. 748-9 Archaeologia Aeliana, 1859, Chantry and Forfeited Lands in Yorkshire and Durham, 2, III, 21 J.R. Boyle, 1892, The County of Durham, 577