Tyne and Wear HER(5121): Gibside Estate, Warrens Haugh, iron works - Details
Gibside Estate, Warrens Haugh, iron works
Metal Smelting Site
Iron Working Site
This meadow was the location of a 17th century iron working site. George Bowes established river walls or 'keys' to reduce flooding. A drive crossed the haugh through gates at each end, probably constructed around 1790 to 1820. As the western entrance became more important in the 19th century as a route to the railway, a lodge was built at the entrance to the haugh and ramping provided to reduce the slope.
<< HER 5121 >> W.A. Fairhurst & Partners, 2002, Gibside Estate - Countryside Stewardship Scheme, Restoration and Management; Eric Clavering and Alan Rounding, 1995, Early Tyneside Industrialism: The lower Derwent and Blaydon Burn Valleys 1550-1700, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol XXIII, pages 249-268