Tyne and Wear HER(5124): Gibside Estate, Walled Garden - Details
Gibside Estate, Walled Garden
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
The walled garden was moved from a position near Gibside House to a site some 500 yards to the south-west of it. It became customary to have the kitchen garden some distance from the house due to the smells of night soil and manure. Work began in 1734. A basin was made in one corner, there were hot beds and espaliards round the walls. Work was complete in 1736. LISTED GRADE 2 A variety of 18th century planting plates were recorded by NCAS in 2013.
<< HER 5124 >> M Wills, 1995, Gibside and the Bowes family, p 21, 99 W.A. Fairhurst & Partners, 2002, Gibside Estate - Countryside Stewardship Scheme, Restoration and Management; Department of National Heritage, List of Buildings of Special architectural or Historic Interest, 10/112; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2013, The Walled Garden, Gibside Estate, archaeological monitoring and recording