Tyne and Wear HER(5130): Fencehouses, North Hetton Farm and Stables - Details
Fencehouses, North Hetton Farm and Stables
Agriculture and Subsistence
Site of former stables and associated buildings located to south-east of Colliery Row. Probably constructed for stabling horses used on colliery wagonways in the area. The buildings are recorded on the 1838 Houghton-le-Spring tithe map and labelled as "North Hetton Stables" on the 1856 Ordnance Survey map. By 1896 the complex of buildings had expanded and are recorded as "North Hetton Farm". The original stable block no longer survives but the later farmhouse is still extant.
<< HER 5130 >> Northern Archaeological Associates, 2001, Sunderland Central Route, Multi Modal Study