Tyne and Wear HER(5131): Fencehouses, Elba - Details
A rectangular complex of buildings (eight probable houses) and a similar number of associated gardens. Date established not known but the buildings are recorded on an 1812 Lambton Estate map and marked as "Elba" on the 1856 Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map. The individual units are all well defined on the 1896 Ordnance Survey map, and on this basis the complex is not considered to be a farmstead. The buildings remained extant until 1920 but three sides of the complex had been demolished by 1940.
<< HER 5131 >> Northern Archaeological Associates, 2001, Sunderland Central Route, Multi Modal Study