Tyne and Wear HER(5132): Walker, Entrance Lodge to Shipyard and electricity substation - Details
Walker, Entrance Lodge to Shipyard and electricity substation
Electricity Production Site
Electricity Sub Station
Entrance lodge for Armstrong Mitchell Shipyard (HER 5023) and electricity substation on White Street (then Victoria Street). Decorated brick lodge entrance to shipyard offices via stairs down to passage under rail siding. 1907 altered from entrance hall and bicycle store to pay office and waiting rooms and the 1901 substation enlarged adjacent. These 1907 functions explain present appearance with fluted brick frieze complete and the louvre 'shed' for increased ventilation for larger transformers. 1916 lodge altered to accommodate women workers' dining hall and lavatories. Substation remained.
<< HER 5132 >> Alteration plans of 1907 & 1916, Tyne and Wear Archive Service The Electrician, June, July, August, 1901, plan of original layout