Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Ouseburn, Lime Street, No. 30, Flour Mill

Tyne and Wear HER(5149): Ouseburn, Lime Street, No. 30, Flour Mill - Details

Back to Search Results



Ouseburn, Lime Street, No. 30, Flour Mill





Flour Mill

Early Modern


Extant Building

A large flour mill designed by Gibson Kyle and built for Proctor and Sons (who at that time owned the adjoining former flax mill HER 5161) built 1873-4. By 1896 the mill was owned by a family of miller's named Leethams, who also owned the adjacent property. The name Leethams can still be seen painted onto the gable end of the building.Until the 1920s there was an internal walkway through the two buildings. Leethams left 1916 and various small businesses utilised the building. From the 1940s to 1980s the building was owned by a farmer's co-operative, Farmway, and used to grind cattle feed. During the 1970s it was sold to the Revolutionary Workers Party to house a printing press. Basic remedial work was carried out on what had become a derelict building. Now being converted into the Centre for Children's Books [2004]. Photographed beforehand by GWK chartered architects. Brick with ashlar dressings and rear basement to river. Welsh slate roof. 4 storeys, 3 bays and 2 bays set back at left. 3 high vehicle entrances have segmental brick arches on 2 cast iron columns; outer brick piers have cast-iron fenders and stone impost blocks; iron cladding to brick springers over central columns. The maker's mark (Toward of St Lawrence) can be seen on the cast iron columns. Within the arches are double doors under wood lintels. Rear elevation to Ouseburn has central gabled hoist. LISTED GRADE 2




<< HER 5149 >> I. Ayris & S.M. Linsley, 1994, A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of Tyne and Wear, p 65 Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 12/365 1889, Tyneside Industries, p 117 GWK Architects, 2004, Large Scale Survey Photographs of 30-34 Lime Street, Ouseburn H. Mulhearn, 2001, History of the Mill, typed sheet; Ouseburn Heritage magazine; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead - Pevsner Architectural Guide, p 136

Back to Search Results