Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Crawcrook village

Tyne and Wear HER(521): Crawcrook village - Details

Back to Search Results



Crawcrook village








Documentary Evidence

The earliest reference is in Boldon Buke, c. 1183 (a survey of land belonging to the Bishop of Durham, Hugh du Puiset), when Crawcrook was a farmed vill with a mill. In the 13th century the bishop granted the vill to Kepier Hospital, and subsequently it came to be divided between the Hospital and the Horsley family, the Horsleys holding - among other things - the manor of Bradley. In 1794, when the open fields were enclosed, there were said to be 12 ancient farms. Although the present village is almost entirely modern its early shape is nevertheless detectable.




<< HER 521 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1852, Boldon Buke, Surtees Society, 25, p. 69 W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, pp. 90, 109, 262 J. Barmby, ed. 1896, Memorials of St. Giles's, Durham, Surtees Society, 95 (for 1895), pp. xxiv-v, 202 G.V. Scammell, 1956, Hugh de Puiset, p. 232 A.M. Oliver, ed. 1929, Northumberland and Durham Deeds, Newcastle upon Tyne Record Series, VII, nos. 41-2, 46-7, 50-1, 53 R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, Vol. II, pp. 266-7 W. Bourn, 1896, History of the Parish of Ryton, pp. 45-47 Enclosure Awards, 1800, Crawcrook, Q.D.E.9 and Q.D.B.5 pp. 502-35 -Durham Records Office 1794, Crawcrook open fields, D.XP.38 -Durham Records Office Dept. Pal. & Dip. Durham, 1795, Crawcrook open fields, Halmote Court addit. maps and plans, 144b

Back to Search Results