Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Jesmond, All Saints Cemetery

Tyne and Wear HER(5232): Jesmond, All Saints Cemetery - Details

Back to Search Results



Jesmond, All Saints Cemetery



Religious Ritual and Funerary

Funerary Site


Early Modern



Cemetery with a municipal design. First cemetery in Newcastle to be instigated by the Burial Board. The cemetery grounds were divided into wards often defined by avenues of trees. Consecrated in 1855. Opened in 1856. Fine elm tree central to the main entrance viewed through a gabled Gothic archway designed by Benjamin Green {1 and 2}. The Victorian Lodge was replaced in the 20th century. The cemetery was extended to Osborne Avenue, from just under 10 acres by another 1.3 hectares in 1881. A pedestrian gate gives access into the enlarged cemetery. When Carliol Gaol was demolished in 1924 the bodies of executed criminals were transferred into unmarked graves at All Saints. There have been nearly 90,000 burials here. The cemtery is surrounded by cast iron railings with fleur-de-lys heads. Thomas Harrison Hair (1810-1875) the artist best known for his Views of the Collieries of Northumberland and Durham, is buried here in an unmarked grave.




<< HER 5232 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 30 F. Green, 1995, Historic Parks & Gardens in Tyne and Wear, Stage 2 Research; Newcastle City Council, 2007, South Jesmond Conservation Area Character Statement, p 38-39; Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pp 66-73; Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 118

Back to Search Results