Tyne and Wear HER(5233): Harton Cemetery - Details
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Consecrated in 1890. By 1894 17 of the total 31 acres had been laid out to the design of Mr. Bernard Cowen. Simple grid pattern with broad walks and avenues of mature trees. Hodgson described Harton Cemetery in 1924 as "probably one of the handsomest and most tastefully laid out in the north". The impressive buildings were by Henry Grieves. In the centre of the grounds are two mortuary chapels linked by an arched gateway with lantern tower and spire. A separate area was provided for the Jewish community. The lodge comprises of the superintendent's house and a boardroom for the cemetery committee.
<< HER 5233 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 29 F. Green, 1995, Historic Parks & Gardens in Tyne and Wear, Stage 2 Research G.B. Hodgson, 1924, The History of South Shields Whellan, 1894, History of Durham