Tyne and Wear HER(5241): Parkmoor Wagonway - Details
The Parkmoor Wagonway was a diversion of the Bensham Wagonway, constructed c1770 after the Carr-Ellisons had opened a new colliery on the Fell called Parkmoor in 1768. The northern part of the Riddells' wagonway route from Windmill Hills to Pothouse staith on the river established in 17th century was supposedly reused by this diversion. This route came through the fields and closes on the west side of Gateshead and crossing the west end of Jackson's Chare, ran north across East Pipe Hills pasture, bending sharply west to join the river at the Trunk Staith. Shown on Gibson's 1788 Plan of the Colleries. This has been mistakenly identified as depicting a cutting down Rabbit Banks and the present Riversdale Road. Excavation in 2000 across the estimated position of the wagonway failed to recover any archaeological evidence.A mid 18th century plan shows the southern part of Half Moon Lane described as a 'piece of waste ground must be a waggonway' and across the site of Greens Field is written 'a Gill convenient for waggonways'. The plan may have been an early proposal for the line of the later Parkmoor waggonway.
<< HER 5241 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 1999, Windmill Hills, Town Park, Assessment of the Archaeological Potential Tyne and Wear Museums, 2000, Windmill Hills, Town Park, Phase 1 Archaeological, Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2010, Proposed Gateshed Football Stadium, Archaeological Assessment, A plan of Gateshead Park and Shipcote Estates, mid 18th century, NRO SANT/BEQ/9/1/3;Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, Riverview: Greenesfield, Gateshead, Cultural Heritage and Archaeology Statement in WSP Environmental Ltd. Environmental Statement; NRO ZAN M17/197/A f.15; Turnbull, L, 2012, Railways Before George Stephenson (entry 51); Alan Williams Archaeology, 2013, Waggonways to the South Bank of the River Tyne and to the River Wear no 28; TWAS: DT/Bell/2/143;