Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Jesmond, St. Andrew's Cemetery

Tyne and Wear HER(5246): Jesmond, St. Andrew's Cemetery - Details

Back to Search Results



Jesmond, St. Andrew's Cemetery



Religious Ritual and Funerary

Funerary Site


Early Modern



In 1854 the Burial Board of Jesmond merged with St. Andrew to form a joint board. In April 1855 the Burial Board agreed to purchase ground for a cemetery from the Hospital of St Mary Magdelene. The designer was Middleton and Prichett of Darlington. The first burials took place in 1857. Initially known as St Andrew's and Jesmond Cemetery the name is given as St Andrew's Cemetery on the 1861 Ordnance Survey map. The cemetery is one of the first four mid-19th century Burial Board cemeteries in Newcastle upon Tyne. The cemetery is still in use and is in the ownership of Newcastle City Council. The cemetery is 4.1 hectare and is bounded by 1.5 metres high stone walls lined with trees and shrubs. The principle entrance is on the western boundary. The square piers have incised inscriptions 'St Andrew's and Jesmond Cemetery'. The drive terminates at a semi-circular carriage turn and entrance lodge. At the head of the drive is a porte-cochere with low Tudor-style arches. The lodge is in random stone with ashlar dressings. There is a second entrance from the east marked by 19th century wrought iron gates and stone piers. This is not marked on the 1861 Ordnance Survey so is a later 19th century addition. There is a 20th century service access from the north. There are two chapels, one Nonconformist, the other Church of England. They are Gothic in design, in random stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Each has a gabled entrance porch and short tower. The towers may have been altered, with the top section removed. The cemetery is divided by a circuit of paths. It includes many mature trees. It contains a variety of monuments including Celtic crosses and tall obelisks. In the south-west corner of the cemetery is a large canopied Barawitzka memorial with Egyptian-style columns dating from 1936. REGISTERED HISTORIC PARK.




<< HER 5246 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 30 English Heritage, 2003, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, GD3605 1855, The Builder, Vol XIII, no 644 (9 June 1855), p275 1853, St Andrews and Jesmond Burial Board, Minutes, vol 1, 1853-1877, Tyne and Wear Archive Service, BB/AJ/1/1; English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest, Ref. 1874, edited December 2009; Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, pages 85-98; Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 39

Back to Search Results