Tyne and Wear HER(5248): Jarrow Cemetery - Details
Religious Ritual and Funerary
The Hedworth, Monkton and Jarrow Burial Board was formed in 1864. Two mortuary chapels were built in brick, one for members of the Church of England and the other for Roman Catholics. The cemetery was consecrated in 1869 by the Bishop of Durham. Six acres of the site was allocated for CofE and nine for the Roman Catholics and dissenters. The planting in the cemetery has survived well including hollies, elms, oaks, maples, willow, birch and a variegated elm.
<< HER 5248 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 30