Tyne and Wear HER(5251): Tynemouth, Northumberland Park - Details
Tynemouth, Northumberland Park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
During the recession of the 1880s, a Tynemouth alderman, John Foster-Spence approached the Duke of Northumberland for a piece of land suitable for a park. His idea was to provide work for unemployed shipbuilders and create a facility for the town. The park was opened by the Duke of Northumberland in 1885 who planted a Turkey Oak, which still survives. The park was designed by Mr. Gomozinski, the Borough Surveyor. A brochure produced by the Tynemouth and North Shields Corporation in 1923 described the park as "a perfect paradise". LOCAL LIST During 2011 an evaluation excavation project was carried out by The Archaeological Practice Ltd. In conjunction with the local community following documentary research and a geophysical investigation. The possible remains of St. Leonard's Hospital or a later ancillary building were excavated along with the remains of Park Cottage and several post-medieval burials.
<< HER 5251 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 39; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9); Gillespies, 2012, Northumberland Park, Conservation Management Plan; The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2012, Northumberland Park, King Edward Road, Tynemouth - Archaeological Evaluation; The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2011, Northumberland Park, King Edward Road, Tynemouth - Archaeological Assessment; Timescape Surveys, 2011, Northumberland Park, King Edward Road, Tynemouth - Geophysical Survey