Tyne and Wear HER(5254): Sunderland, Barnes Park - Details
Sunderland, Barnes Park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
Opened in 1909, the name was taken from the Barnes Burn which runs along the valley in the park to the lake with surplus water forming a small waterfall. The 33 acres of land were purchased in 1904 for £8,500. During the depression of trade the park provided work for the unemployed. Many of the trees originally planted are now maturing. The lake and bandstand (which is listed grade 2) survive.
<< HER 5254 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 43; Archaeo-Environment Ltd. 2008, Barnes Park, Sunderland - Archaeological Assessment; Archaeo-Environment Ltd., 2008, Proposed relocated council depot at Ettrick Grove to the west of Barnes Park - Archaeological Assessment