Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Westoe, Sunderland Road, Robert Readhead Park

Tyne and Wear HER(5255): Westoe, Sunderland Road, Robert Readhead Park - Details

Back to Search Results


S Tyneside

Westoe, Sunderland Road, Robert Readhead Park



Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces


Public Park




In May 1923 the park was opened on land given by Alderman Readhead in thanksgiving for peace. The park was opened on 18th May 1923 by Alderman Robert Readhead. In the south-west corner of the park there is a concrete memorial 3 feet high with a copper scroll-like plaque "COUNTY BOROUGH OF SOUTH SHIELDS ROBERT REDHEAD PARK. THIS PARK WAS PRESENTED BY ALDERMAN ROBERT REDHEAD J.P. TO THE TOWN COUNCIL OF SOUTH SHIELDS FOR THE PURPOSE OF PUBLIC PLEASURE GROUNDS BY DEED OF GIFT DATED 20TH APRIL 1923. OPENED TO THE PUBLIC ON THE 3RD MAY 1923 BY ROBERT READHEAD ESQ M.A. (OXON) (SON OF THE DONOR), EDWARD SMITH, MAYOR, JOHN LAWSON, CHAIRMAN OF PARKS AND CEMETERIES COMMITTEE". A condition of the gift was that unemployed ex-servicemen were given work on the adjoining roadworks. LOCAL LIST




<< HER 5255 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 43; North East War Memorials Project ( H104.05; SOUTH TYNESIDE LOCAL LIST REVIEW 2011: REFERENCE NUMBER: LSHA/55/SS

Back to Search Results