Tyne and Wear HER(5260): Longbenton, Little Benton/Benton Park - Details
Longbenton, Little Benton/Benton Park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
A plan of Little Benton (not to be confused with Little Benton Farm, HER 1594) was produced by John Dobson in 1813 for William Clark. To the north of the house was a plantation with a ride along the boundary. To the south there was a gap in the planting revealing a circular grove of trees in the distance. It had an enormous walled garden. By 1896 the house was renamed Benton Park and Benton Hall had been built next door. The small pond was enlarged into a lake with islands. A turning circle was built north of the house. A terrace and steps down to lawns were added to the south. Site now built over.
<< HER 5260 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 53