Tyne and Wear HER(5261): Jesmond, Villa Reale (Nazareth House) Garden - Details
Jesmond, Villa Reale (Nazareth House) Garden
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
The house was built by John Dobson in 1817 for Captain Dutton. The grounds were circa 21 acres, extensively landscaped and orientated south. There was a lodge on Sandyford Road, overlooking wide curved lawns edged with woodland. There were glasshouses to the north-west and two pineries and vinery sheds, with a chimney in the wwodland behind. East of the house was a vast walled garden with a cistern at its centre. Further east there was a melon ground. There was a fish pond and fishing house. Villa Real is now a convent and the grounds have been reduced by housing. Gardens on the south and west side remain.
<< HER 5261 >> F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, p 54; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2014, Central High School, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Monitoring