Tyne and Wear HER(527): Bradley Hall (medieval) - Details
Bradley Hall (medieval)
Bradley seems to have become distinct, though not then separated, from Crawcrook by the late 13th century when the bishop granted Wm de Garmundesway 5.5 acres in the old field of Bradley. In c. 1320 Wm de Bradley, son of Wm de Garmundesway, granted John son of Richard de Horsley his capital messuage, watermill and land in Bradley, and in 1497 Bradley Hall is described as a manor. It must be supposed that this medieval manor house was the antecedent of the present 18th century hall, though not necessarily on the same site. By the mid-19th century Bradley Hall and grounds were no longer in the township of Crawcrook, but had been transferred to Ryton Woodside.
<< HER 527 >> W. Greenwell, ed. 1856, Bishop Hatfield's Survey, Surtees Society, 32, p. 90 A.M. Oliver, ed. 1929, Northumberland and Durham Deeds, Newcastle upon Tyne Record Series, VII, nos. 41, 42, 51 R. Surtees, 1820, History of...Durham, Vol. II, pp. 266-8