Tyne and Wear HER(5281): Ouseburn, Stepney Bank or New Pottery - Details
Ouseburn, Stepney Bank or New Pottery
Pottery Manufacturing Site
Mentioned in directories 1852-60, but operated from late 18th century onwards (pottery described as "below Stepney Hill" mentioned in directory of 1790, probably founded by Dale and Head in 1786). Joseph Burn succeeded Thomas Bell and Company at the pottery originally called the 'New Pottery' but renamed 'Stepney Bank Pottery' in 1816 Burn was succeeded by John Charlton. Burn used a Newcastle arms mark similar to Fell and Company of St Peter's Pottery (HER 4172) in a probable deliberate attempt to pass off his products as those of the leading Tyneside firm. The pottery had nine other firms occupying the buildings until it was demolished in 1875 to make way for Byker Bridge. A new pottery was then built on the opposite side of the road (HER 5280) by John Wood.
<< HER 5281 >> Desc Text P.J. Davidson, 1986, Brickworks of the North East, pp 68-9 R.C. Bell, 1986, Maling and other Tyneside Pottery Tyne and Wear County Council, 1981, Maling - A Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell, 1971, Tyneside Pottery R.C. Bell & M.A.V. Gill, 1973, The Potteries of Tyneside F. Buckley, 1929, Potteries on the Tyne and Other Northern Potteries during the C188, Archaeologia Aeliana, series 4, p68-82 D.K. Gray, 1985, Introduction to Maling S. Moore & C. Ross, 1989, Maling, The Trademark of Excellence J.T. Shaw, 1973, The Potteries of Wearside K. Inkster & L. Trueman, 1997, Stepney Bank Development Archaeological Assessment