Tyne and Wear HER(5293): Wallsend, Burnside School - Details
Wallsend, Burnside School
Wallsend grammar school, that is the present annexe to the main school building on Boyd Road, was built in 1913. The later County Technical School was added in 1959. The former grammar school building underwent refurbishment in 1987. The whole complex then became Burnside Community School. There are few sources documenting the developmental history of the building and the architects plans of the school do not appear to have survived. The buildings were not considered of sufficient historical merit to warrant listing. They have a number of significant architectural features including moulded brickwork door surrounds, Corinthian pillars and decorative brickwork and the grammar school entrance, an internal balcony surrounding the central hall, and decorative round windows.
<< HER 5293 >> The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Burnside School, Wallsend