Tyne and Wear HER(5459): West Boldon, Ascot House, two wells - Details
West Boldon, Ascot House, two wells
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Storage Site
During the construction of new houses in the grounds of Ascot House ("Wayside" on modern maps) two brick lined wells were found. One was better preserved than the other as an interceptor sewer had been built over one of them. The better preserved well measured c2.5 metres in diameter and was at least 8 metres deep. Not shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, so later than 1850. Probably associated with the market gardens of Ascot House (late 19th century). The wells have been infilled with concrete for safety.
<< HER 5459 >> Pers. Comm. Brian Reston, Bowey Construction, 2003