Tyne and Wear HER(5461): Sunderland, Queen Street East, possible medieval chapel - Details
Sunderland, Queen Street East, possible medieval chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Summers (1885) states that "anciently there was a religious house, chapel, or chantry dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, in Sunderland near the Sea, within the parish of Wearmouth". It is not known when or by whom this house was founded, but Summers gives a plan dated 1715 which shows the area now occupied by Queen Street East as "Chapel Hill". In 1535 the Valor Ecclesiasticus of Henry VIII records a "cantaria b'te marie virgin in Sunderland juxta mare" valued at £3-13s-4d.
<< HER 5461 >> Clive R. Hart & Elizabeth Okasha, 2003, Early Medieval Stone Bowls from Sunderland, Dalden and Durham Durham, Archaeological Journal, 17, 2003, pp 13-15 J.Caley & J. Hunter (eds), 1825, Valor Ecclesiasticus temp. Hen. VIII auctoriate regia institutus, Vol 5 J.W. Summers, 1858,The History and Antiquities of Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth, Vol 1