Tyne and Wear HER(5469): Hylton, whale processing site - Details
Hylton, whale processing site
Animal Product Site
Sunderland's direct involvement in whaling began in 1774 when "Hazard" sailed from the Wear. She was withdrawn after three voyages. "Blackett" sailed to the whaling grounds in 1785. Ten vessels were employed as whalers between 1785 and 1798. "Jenny's Adventure", 163 tons, was owned by Thomas Weatherall, brazier, and William Friend, ironmonger. In contrast "Leviathon" was owned by two of the Wear's principal shipowners, Ralph Marshall and James Robinson. Other notable Sunderland whalers were "Blackett", "Horn", "Urania" and "Sunderland". Few of the owners had had any connection with Arctic whaling before 1786, although John and Robert Barry had acquired their whaling skills at Whitby. "Urania" was wrecked off Greenland in 1790 with 2000 seals on board. Between 1793 and 1798 only one or two vessels per season were sent to the whaling grounds. "Sunderland" was captured by a French privateer off Shetland in 1795. "Ariel" and "Hunter" and the lease on the whale oil yard at Hylton and wharves and warehouses at Monkwearmouth Shore were advertised for sale in 1798. They were sold to the Hull whaling fleet and many Sunderland whalermen moved with them. John and Robert Barry abandoned whaling to develop a shipowning company, at a time when Newcastle had renewed its interest in the Greenland whaling trade.
<< HER 5469 >> T. Barrow, The Whaling Trade of North-East England, 1750-1850