Tyne and Wear HER(5487): North Shields, Low Lights Gas Works - Details
North Shields, Low Lights Gas Works
Coal Gas Structure
The gas works are shown on Woods plan of 1826. They were established by the North Shields Gas Company in 1820. The works had two gasometers, a coal house and two buildings each housing 18 retorts. Coal was burned in the retorts to produce gas, and the resulting coke, stored in the coke house on the eastern side of the yard, was sold for fuel. The gasworks is shown in detail on a manuscript plan dated 1854 (NRO 1147/B1).
<< HER 5487 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2003, Fish Park, North Shields, Archaeological Assessment J. Rook, 1827, Plan of North Shields and Tynemouth J. Wood, 1826, A Plan of the towns of North Shields and Tynemouth 1854, manuscript plan, Northumberland Records Office, 1147/B1