Tyne and Wear HER(5491): North Shields, Adrian's Mound - Details
North Shields, Adrian's Mound
This mound is shown on Wood's plan of 1826. It appears to have been a large mound of ballast which had been laid across the deep valley of the Pow Dean. A 'battery' for the turnpike road (HER 1191) was formed from this ballast hill. The remains of the mound are identifiable on later Ordnance Survey maps. In forming a cutting on the west side of the dean, the road builders of 1815 reputedly found 'some remains, appearing as if camp fires had once been laid there'.
<< HER 5491 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2003, Fish Park, North Shields, Archaeological Assessment J. Rook, 1827, Plan of North Shields and Tynemouth J. Wood, 1826, A Plan of the towns of North Shields and Tynemouth 1815, Tyne Mercury, 17 October 1815