Tyne and Wear HER(5574): Ouseburn, Lime Street, Nos. 1-5, Coal Merchants - Details
Ouseburn, Lime Street, Nos. 1-5, Coal Merchants
Coal Mining Site
Detached three-storey building on corner of Lime Street and Cut Bank. This was the coal depot of J.T. Potts. The Potts family acquired the property in 1898. Trade directories before this date list the property as "Montague Coal Depot" under the ownership of S. Wood. After 1898 the business is listed as T. Potts & Co, Coal Merchants. It was still in the Potts family in 1929. The offices were on the ground floor, with residential rooms above. Coal was stored in the yard to the rear. Access into the yard by coal wagons was through a passageway shown on the Ordnance Survey second edition.
<< HER 5574 >> 1999, Ouseburn Heritage, Issue 4 pp 8-9