Tyne and Wear HER(5646): Gateshead, High Street, Wesleyan Meeting House - Details
Gateshead, High Street, Wesleyan Meeting House
Religious Ritual and Funerary
The Wesleyans had a meeting house in High Street (behind where Woolworths now stands). The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1815 to accommodate 670 people, with gardens in front. Since its desertion it was used as a music hall and theatre. It was burnt out twice. On one occasion 14 lives were lost.
<< HER 5646 >> E. MacKenzie, 1827, A Descriptive and Historical Account of the Town and Country of Newcastle, Vol 1, p 755; D. Lumley, 1932, The Story of Gateshead Town, p 127-128