Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Burradon House Farm

Tyne and Wear HER(5672): Burradon House Farm - Details

Back to Search Results


5672


N Tyneside


Burradon House Farm


Burradon


NZ27SE


Agriculture and Subsistence


Farm


Farmstead


Early Modern


C19


Extant Building


A plan of the Burradon Estate of William Ogle Wallis Ogle of Causey Park dated February 14th 1804 shows two adjacent farms at the centre of the estate lands, one of which consists of a courtyard of buildings attached to the east and south elevations of the pele tower, the second being an elongated range of three separate buildings to the north of the tower. Each farm has its own stack yard and garth. By 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1858 buildings had been added in-between the older buildings and a gin-gan had been built onto the north facing wall of the centrally located threshing barn. In the second half of the 19th century there were major changes. With the exception of the ancient tower and two cottages relating to the nearby quarry, all the farm buildings were removed. The farmstead attached to the pele tower was demolished completely. Burradon House was built to the west of the tower with a range of buildings fronting onto the roadway through the site - this still exist. The farmstead to the north of the road was also removed and a new range of farm buildings constructed. Other than the addition of timber barns to the rear of the stone buildings, the plan the buildings today is that which had developed by the end of 19th century. The new farm was based on the introduction of steam power and the construction of a long two storey range on an east-west axis forming the spine of the farm. Typically the engine house with its attendant chimney protruded from the rear of the threshing barn at the centre of this range. On the south elevation were a series of arched entrances at ground level with window openings above. A series of foldyards were created by the construction of single storey ranges extensing southwards from the main buildings. The eastern elevation of the easternmost range was left open as a cart shed and a smithy stood at its southern end. Most of the buildings have survived. LOCAL LIST


2759


7302


NZ27597302



<< HER 5672 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1850 I. Ayris 1995, Typed notes 1804,of the Burradon Estate, Northumberland Records Office/DT78M; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9)

Back to Search Results